Talk to other users and have a great time
Slack Server

Welcome to our Community

Click here to get your Exiled Bot license
Donation Store
Sign in to follow this  
XeroKill

Map AI

With the introduction of the Atlas I have noticed that the Bot's AI is staggeringly underdeveloped. I really feel that some significant effort should be put into making the maps running a lot smarter. A few notes about this is that the bot seems to rarely take the Arena transitions to kill bosses, which is a huge loss on loot and map gains. Also, the method for searching a map zone seems to be, a bit daft at times. Often times the bot will spend a ridiculous amount of time aimlessly wondering over areas of the map that it has already explored and has difficulty with elevated terrains, despite the recent improvements. 

I am certainly open to suggestions on things I can do to make the experience better but sadly this community is very cagey with sharing details because a lot of member use the bot for financial gain, and feel they have to hoard their knowledge. This isn't aimed at everyone, obviously, but information isn't always the easiest to obtain on ways to most efficiently set up the bot. There are tons of guides on general settings, but rarely any specifics. At any rate, the may gist of this post is to suggest that the mapping be a priority focus and really expand on the functions the bot can offer in that regard. 

Hey dude, as each map has its own specific layout and specific stuff, current system was made to be as efficient as possible in a generic way.

Now I can try to work on improving the system, but I'm going to need a lot of help, about specific stuff for each map.

Dunno if you have seen how many maps this game has, but adding them one by one with some specific data isn't going to be an easy task.

As reminder, here is the list of all maps in the game : http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Map

If anybody want to help improving map system and available to do some data mining (map layout, number of level, name of the transitions, name of the boss,... Feel free to contact me.

If you add each single map this is alot of work.

first you could just make the Bot know if a map boss is killed or not.

It would be perfect if the bot would:

keep exploring if  the map boss isnt killed, even if the "Max explore percent" is reached
if a transition is found and the "Max explore percent" is reached take it. If not keep exploring

leave the map if the map boss is killed and the "Max explore percent" is reached

This is still a lot of work and http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Map_bosses isnt updated yet....

I suggest it 1-2 Years ago hopefullly we get it now.

I get that, but I was referring to upgrading the way the bot works in the general sense. I would not expect each map to have its own AI or special conditions except in the case where super unique conditions are required to even consider running the map, like a Unique map like Coward's Trial. However, even then, I would not expect the bot to run EVERY map perfectly, though it would be nice. I was just hoping to see the generic AI improved because as it stands the AI is generally failing to handle the most basic map functions. It should be able to handle simple terrain changes easier than it does. It should be smarter about how it searches zones, though I have no clue how that would be accomplished without memhacks and I admit my ignorance of how this is accomplished or how it can be done better... but I have used dozens of other bots in other games and they handle it very well. It should be able to locate arena zones and take or ignore them properly. Perhaps an option to tell certain zones to leave the boss alone, and it can do so because it can identify the arena, and that should be easier than ever since every single boss transition is now titled "Arena" so identifying the zone should be super simple. 

Basically, the request is that the map functionality should, in my humble opinion, be the most useful application of the bot as that is really what I would wager 90% of the users would want the bot to do well. I know you are working hard on the leveling AI, for example, and that is admirable and I wouldn't suggest that you abandon that effort, but ultimately the most useful application of the bot would be for it to reliably run maps efficiently and at least somewhat safely. As it stands now, even the most powerful build in the game is relegated to running Dried Lake endlessly instead of pushing maps, where  the real currency is at.

Please don't take this as a slam against the bot or a personal criticism, I love the bot and have been using it for years. However, the bot is definitely lacking in the most important area of operation. The area that most players will spend the vast majority of their time and effort trying to progress.

I agree the map efficiency should be the area focused on.

Rather than doing all the maps at once, it would be good to start with the maps which are good to farm but the bot doesn't run them well. Because a lot of maps run ok.

Example of the types of maps which need specific AI is strand map: good straightforward layout but bot needs to just run one direction kill the boss then new map, rather than go back on itself

Edited by auronini

Hello,

I am also aware that the robot sometimes may not have the best mechanical scanning maps.

Let me suggest some scanning algorithms corresponding to the AI:

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/55344/algorithm-for-exploring-filling-grid-map

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5361791/robot-exploration-algorithm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%2a_search_algorithm

Of course anything that can help, I will be willing to cooperate, I'm a programmer.

Edited by Jhonjhon123