Slack Server

Welcome to our Community

Click here to get your Exiled Bot license
Donation Store
Sign in to follow this  
Jhonjhon123

Unified Help Docs

Hello,

In my short time in this forum, I realized something very important, when I was trying to set up this cute and powerful tool.

Its documentation is scattered in separate post, difficult to trace, for example this:

I did not know this and thought it was a mistake, but not found a documentation easy access where I was indicating he should follow these steps.

My idea is to create a unified documentation, ie, in one place, the supreme guide, the bible of exiled bot.

Some current examples:

One page style:

Wikipedia style:

Software to create online documentation (easy to use):

It could make a github repository or some other, that can be maintained by the community through self issuses system git.

I hope his respectful opinines,

Thank you.

Very english, much online translator.

All joking aside though, good idea to have a single thread that puts links to all useful posts by category.

I've had a problem before and had to look for a while across the forum to find that someone had mentioned a fix in the body of some random thread.

• Upvote 1

Yes and no,

For example:

https://exiled-bot.net/community/index.php/topic/7574-level-up-gems-automatically-doesnt-level-up-gems/

https://exiled-bot.net/community/index.php/topic/7679-the-pickit-thread/

They are threads that are not in this guide, and they are important.

The idea is to gather everything, but everything is everything. something that the community itself can edit (suggest editing), community settings, and others, but all on one page with a well structured index.

A robust documentation is what I mean.

I hope I made my point,

Cordially.

Yes and no,

For example:

https://exiled-bot.net/community/index.php/topic/7574-level-up-gems-automatically-doesnt-level-up-gems/

The idea is to gather everything, but everything is everything. something that the community itself can edit (suggest editing), community settings, and others, but all on one page with a well structured index.

I hope I made my point,

Cordially.

Your best bet for a more structured guide with community editing is probably an ExiledBot wiki. There are things that come up that are not in the compendium and maybe investing in a structured guide would reduce the repetitive threads / questions as the community updates the wiki with new solutions to problems and proper settings for the bot over time. It'll be much more easily navigable than going through multiple threads to find that one piece of information. Is it necessary? Maybe not, considering people can just keep making threads and go on Discord to receive quick responses. Would it be an improvement to the compendium? Most likely since more experienced ExiledBot users can freely update the wiki to add their experiences with certain issues / settings and fixes to those problems. With the centralized guide, there's a better chance that the answers to simple questions like "how to enable auto gem level" will be found (when I started, I had this issue and I think I read the fix in one of the documents that came with the download and some thread). Obviously, maintaining that wiki and keeping it updated will be something to think about, but the same can be said about the compendium and it all depends on the community involvement.

TLDR: Compendium lacks some key information and not as structured as it could be so an ExiledBot wiki may be a better solution and calls for community involvement.

Yes and no,

For example:

I hope I made my point,

Cordially.

I agree with you.  I think the challenge is getting people to spend time on setting it up.  Support staff does not receive salary for work it does in the community, so it is basically on our free time for documentation.  

While I wouldn't mind helping in providing content for a wiki or some other centralized documentation point, I frankly do not have time to coordinate/manage it.

On top of this, in some way we are all competitors :)

Like nobody is gonna give up their VPN or highly tweaked pickit for examples.

So spending time to explain my new competitors what I do and spend time on, without anything in return? Hmm... :P

Edited by shalira12